As a small business owner, you’ve got a lot on your plate. From ordering inventory to filling orders to organizing documents, it’s a lot to handle and it often calls for a lot of space. Whether you work out of a home office or have separate space dedicated to your business, just a small amount of commercial storage can make a big difference for your business ventures. Not sure if additional space would help you out? This guide from StoreEase will explore the benefits of using self storage for your small business and common uses to help you decide if it’s the best fit for you.
Conveniences of Commercial Storage
It’s no secret that self storage spaces can help you clear clutter from your home office or workspace and allow you more elbow room to get things done. However, there are many more benefits to self storage than just the space it provides. If you need space for inventory but not for business operations, self storage is a budget-friendly solution for space that won’t break the bank. In addition, many facilities offer delivery acceptance so you can have inventory sent directly to the location rather than transporting it yourself.
When choosing where you want to rent a unit you will likely focus on location. Having a storage unit near your business makes it easy to make a quick trip to pick up or drop off a few items. We recommend making a list of the amenities that you would benefit from most when renting self storage for your small business.
A few amenities you should consider when searching for a self storage facility include:
- Month-to-month leases – Your needs may change over time as your business grows. Flexible month-to-month leases allow you to upgrade to a larger space as needed. By signing a monthly lease, you won’t have to worry about being stuck in a long-term agreement.
- Online bill pay – As a business owner you may not be able to make it to the facility each month. If you do, there’s a good chance you’re grabbing or dropping items off after business hours. Instead of worrying about finding time to stop by an office to pay your bill, online bill pay will allow you to stay current on your account from the comfort of your office, store, or home.
- Security features – Keep your items safe with the help of advanced security features including digital video recording, fully fenced and gated properties, and individual keypad access. These features help protect your items against theft and allow property managers to monitor who is on the property.
- Extended access hours – Schedules can be unpredictable and it can be hard to rearrange yours to get to your unit. Finding a facility with extended hours will allow you to access your items late at night if you run out of inventory at your workspace or need to grab materials before an early set up at a craft fair. At StoreEase you’ll have access to your unit 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Climate controlled storage – Whether you’re storing inventory or business documents, your items need to be kept in their best condition. Instead of worrying about extreme heat causing certain items to warp, crack, or develop mildew, opt for a climate controlled storage unit. You’ll enjoy peace of mind knowing your items are protected no matter the weather outside.
- Drive-up access – Quick and easy access to your unit is great for small business owners that store heavy equipment and inventory. Simply park your car or truck in front of your unit, roll up the door, and transfer items directly from your vehicle into your unit.
Available amenities will vary from one facility to another so be sure to check with the front office to see what is offered and available to best meet your needs.
Uses of Commercial Self Storage
How you use your self storage unit is completely up to you. Where your small business operates will likely change what items you keep in your unit. If you work entirely out of a home office, you may use your storage unit for keeping inventory and orders organized before they head out the door. While you’re considering if self storage would be beneficial for your business, explore common commercial self storage uses below.
If your business utilizes large pieces of equipment such as forklifts, lawnmowers, snowblowers, or similar machinery, self storage is a great place to store these items when they’re not in use. Clear up room in your personal garage, especially during the offseason if your lawn mowing business goes dormant in the winter months. Just be sure to properly prepare your machinery for storage by wiping down the outside of the item, draining any remaining fuel, and making necessary repairs.
Whether you sell 5 items during a weekend art show or ship out 500 hair accessories during the week, you’re likely to have excess inventory or supplies on hand to fill orders. Instead of letting these items take over your home office or overflow your store’s back room, keep them organized in a storage unit. Self storage units are fully customizable meaning you can use racks to organize items for easy access and order fulfillment or leave everything stacked in boxes to make the most of your available space.
While not applicable to every small business, vehicle storage can be beneficial to those who own food trucks or need car storage to clear out their garage for workspace. Many storage facilities offer covered and uncovered vehicle storage options to meet your needs. These spaces are perfect for storing vehicles to clear up driveway space and ensure you don’t violate HOA guidelines by allowing your vehicle to sit on the street for too long. These spaces are typically rented with a month-to-month lease so you can store your car, food truck, trailer, and more during the off-season or year-round.
Find the self storage solutions you need with StoreEase
When you’re in need of commercial storage space, StoreEase has you covered. Our storage units range from small 5×5 spaces that can hold just a few boxes of documents to large 10×30 units and even 34×60 spaces that can be used as warehouse storage for office desks and equipment during a renovation, vehicles during the offseason, and so much more!
In addition to commercial storage units, select facilities, such as our commercial storage in Gainesville, GA location, offer office spaces available for rent. You’ll benefit from delivery acceptance, 24-hour access, free wifi, and more to help your business operations flow seamlessly. Take the next step in your small business adventure and find storage solutions with self storage space. Find a StoreEase location near you today!