Living in a small apartment can often feel cramped and cluttered, but there are a number of changes you can make so you can enjoy your home more. Keep reading to uncover different ways to declutter, organize, and maximize the space in your small apartment.
Plus, we can show you how a self storage unit at StoreEase can help free up space in your apartment. Read on for some practical storage tips on if you plan to use a storage unit and how to utilize that space best to make the most of your small apartment.
5 Ways to Maximize Your Small Space
Maximizing a small apartment space is easy when you follow five steps: declutter, organize, look for furniture with built-in storage, think vertically, and utilize a self storage unit.
1. Declutter Your Apartment
The first step is to declutter and figure out what you do and do not need. Getting rid of the items you don’t use is a great way to free up space in your small apartment. Make a pile of where everything will go. The following is helpful when deciding what to keep and not keep:
- Keep pile: These should be items you frequently use and reach for.
- Donate pile: These should be items in gently used condition that can still be resold at a local thrift store or given to others in need.
- Throwaway pile: These should be items that are past their prime.
- Self storage pile: These should be items you use seasonally or want to keep for either sentimental reasons or future use.
If you put these items in their respective pile, it’s easier to know where everything goes when you begin to organize.
2. Organize Your Apartment
Once you determine what you will keep in your apartment, organize it in a way that’s manageable. If everything has a place, you’re more likely to stay organized and make your space feel less cluttered for longer. You can utilize many organizational tools to help your apartment stay clean. Some of our favorites include:
- Using open shelving units and placing boxes or bins on them. This can maximize the floor space by allowing the boxes and containers to stack, but you can still get inside them. If the open shelving has two or three layers, that’s two or three layers of bins you can store your items in.
- Getting drawer organizers. Everyone has the infamous junk drawer in their house. By getting a drawer organizer, everything in these busy drawers will have a place. This way, you can find everything in your drawers faster, and they will stay organized and clean.
- Get door organizers. A great way to feel like you have more space is to utilize the empty door space. With a door organizer, you can put your jewelry, hair accessories, shoes, or other belongings on the door, barely occupying any space.
There are many different organizers on the market. They are a great way to get the most out of spaces in your home.
3. Get Furniture With Storage
Another great way to maximize your small apartment space is to purchase furniture with storage built into the pieces. For example, many chairs, ottomans, couches, and coffee tables have hidden storage compartments where you can store your items, and many of these items are cost-effective at larger retailers.
This is a great way to get items out of sight and create a place for everything. In addition, this type of storage doesn’t take up any extra space than a typical chair or ottoman would.
4. Think Vertically
One way to maximize your space that many don’t think of is to use the walls. Shelving units and hooks can go a long way in storing some of your items. For example, you can hang your hats, belts, or jewelry on hook.
You can store your toiletries, clothing, shoes, or even home decor with wall shelves. There are many ways to use wall space in a way that’s aesthetically pleasing, and it’s the perfect space-maximizing idea.
5. Utilize a Self Storage Unit
A self storage unit is great for the furniture or items you want to keep due to seasonality or sentimentality, but they can’t necessarily fit inside your apartment. With a self storage unit, you can keep your small apartment without worrying about your belongings cramming up your space.
How to Find the Right Storage Unit for Apartment Organization
The first step to getting a self storage unit is figuring out the right one for you. At StoreEase, we offer several different types and sizes.
Take a look at our size guide to determine the unit you need based on square footage or even how many bedrooms your apartment has. In addition, measuring the belongings you plan to store can help you choose the right size.
We also offer a variety of storage features. This list can help you determine the type of unit you need, such as climate-controlled or indoor storage.
Tips to Organize Your Storage Unit
To get the most out of your storage unit, it should be just as organized as your apartment. Some tips we recommend when organizing your unit include:
- Create a map of where everything is
- Label the outside of the boxes with what is inside
- Create an aisle in the middle so you can easily access your items
If you have electronics, wooden furniture, leather items, instruments, or other fragile items, consider renting a climate-controlled unit. These units help keep the temperature stable, and items that are sensitive to environment changes are happier stored in a unit that’s temperature-controlled.
Visit One of Our Locations or Contact Us to Find a Storage Unit Today!
If making the most of your apartment’s space, no matter the square footage, is on your to-do list, follow the five tips we outlined to maximize your space. When you need a self storage partner to help you expand that space, find a StoreEase location near you and rent your unit today!